In 1937, in the Claddagh district of Galway, Galway United F.C. was founded as Galway Rovers. The club had their first shot at senior football in 1976 when they competed in the FAI League Cup.
League of Ireland
The club was invited to join the League of Ireland in 1977; they made their debut on August 28th 1977 in Terryland Park against St. Patrick’s Athletic. Finding it difficult to make an impact in the League of Ireland, the club gradually improved. They made their first major final in 1981, losing the League Cup final on penalties to Dundalk, in Oriel Park. Having lost the final they decided to change the name of the club to Galway United.
In 1985 the Club finished in sixth position the league and qualified for the FAI Cup final. Shamrock Rover were victorious on the day winning 1-0 against Galway United. Having also won the League Champions , Shamrock Rovers enabled Galway United to qualify for a historic first appearance in Europe. Galway United represented Ireland in the European Cup Winners Cup. The team played in the National Stadium in Copenhagen and won 1-0 despite only having only 10 men. Their home game didn’t go as well, the game finished 4-2 on aggregate.
While their home ground Terryland Park was being redeveloped, the club moved to Crowley Park the home of Local rugby team the Galwegians for one season. On October 9th 1994 Galway United returned to their home ground beating Sligo Rovers.
Eamonn Deacy Park
The most difficult season came in 2011. Having only won one Premier Division game, Galway United finished bottom of the league. With its perilous financial position this meant Galway United would not be granted a licence to compete in the League of Ireland and it would be the season of 2014 before Galway United would return to the newly renamed Eamonn Deacy Park. The club renamed it from Terryland Park to Eamonn Deacy Park following the sad passing of the Galway football legend Eamonn ‘Chick’ Deacy. Eamonn’s grandfather, Martin Joseph Morris, sold land in Terryland to the Galway FA in 1950 for £250.
In 2014, in their first season back in the League of Ireland, the club was renamed Galway FC and joined the First Division. They gained promotion through a promotion play off after defeating Shelbourne and UCD.
The Galway United name returned once more just in time for the 2015 Premier Division season. The club purchased the rights to “Galway United Football Club”.
How to get there
Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway is located 1.2 kilometres from Eamonn Deacy Park on Dyke Road, Galway. It is a short 12 minute walk from the hotel. If you’re looking to take a taxi, there is a taxi rank located to the front of the hotel. It is a short 2 minute drive from Eamonn Deacy Park and has parking provided on site.
At Eamonn Deacy Park it has two covered seated stands and is very wheelchair friendly with some key accessible spaces behind the goals and also along the side-line.